Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My First Acorn Squash

I’m always seeing those beautiful squashes at the grocery this time of year and never know what to do with them.  Or if I would like them.  But as I look at my daughters list of stage 1 food that we are about to embark upon, squash is on there.  And I can’t ask her to try stuff I haven’t tried, right? 

So I came across a recipe from Whole Foods for acorn squash with cranberry apple quinoa, and thought I would audition it for Thanksgiving.  I actually saw it on their iPad app, which is really nice; you can look for just recipes that are gluten free.

It actually turned out super yummy!  I think I over cooked the quinoa a bit (and I only used regular old quinoa, not red), but it still worked well as a stuffing in the squash.  There are also a lot of steps, so this one was not something that can be easily accomplished during a nap.  Thankfully Matt was on Addy duty while I cooked.

I’m still not sure how much I liked the squash itself.  I really love quinoa in general; it is one of the things I've discovered since going gluten free that I would have never tried before.  But I think if you stuffed the quinoa mixture from this recipe into a bucket of sand, the sand would suddenly not taste so bad.  It was honestly almost like a dessert.  Matt doesn’t like anything too exotic when it comes to veggies, and he scarfed this down, so I say it was a success.

As for the big fail, I served it with baked pork, which was seriously the driest meat I have made in a long time.  Also totally unnecessary - half an acorn squash with the hearty quinoa could have stood alone as a main course for dinner.

As it turns out, there are enough sides already planned for Thanksgiving, so I will just be keeping this one in my back pocket for another time.   But yay me for trying it.

The star of the show, the acorn squash and quinoa stuffing.  Boy that pork looks prettier than it tasted.  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment