Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasty Kitchen Inspiration

I have a new favorite place for recipes that I have to share - Skinnytaste.com. I can't remember now how I found it, but I'm guessing that it was Pinterest. The author, Gina, takes a lot of normal recipes and finds a way to make them healthier, and a lot of them are pretty simple too. Her profile says that she develops all of the recipes herself and takes her own photos, which are always super professional looking; I will never try a recipe that has no picture, so good food pics are definitely a must-have.
As an added bonus, she also tags her recipes as gluten free (along with vegetarian or low-carb) and lists both the old weight watcher points and the points based on the new system.
Below is a list of everything I have tried so far.  They have all been super yummy, and just have a fresh, healthy
vibe:
  • Beef, Potato and Quinoa Soup: I love the idea of quinoa in a soup, and this was a fun alternative to the ones I usually make.
  • Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken: Matt nicknamed this "Chipotle at home." We have served it over rice, romain lettuce, or a combination of the two, depending on our mood.  It is simple and filling, and has definitely made the top 10 of our dinner rotation recipes.
  • Potato Leek Soup: I was nervous about this one since I had never cooked with leeks, and Matt is not an onion fan. But this soup just came out rich and savory, not too leek-y at all.
  • BLT Lettuce Wraps: This isn't much as far as recipes go, but is a great idea for a way to do a sandwich-ish thing gluten free. I used low fat ranch dressing instead of mayo since I had it in the fridge, which was a fun twist.

Technically the site is a blog, so subscribe or add her to your Google Reader to get new stuff when she posts it. The pictures alone will inspire you to get in the kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried a few recipes from that Skinnytaste.com blog and they have all been really good. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Are there any recipes that stand out that you liked a lot?

      Delete
  2. I liked the escarole soup with turkey meatballs and the chicken rollatini with spinach and parmesan.

    ReplyDelete