Monday, July 16, 2012

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

In one of the emails from our CSA farmers, Lisa mentioned if we were tired of salads to use the lettuce for some Asian style lettuce wraps.  Matt and I both love those things when we've eaten them out, so I thought I would take a swing at it.  I was also thinking it may be a win with Addy since the chicken would have some sort of sweet sauce on it.

As it turned out it was also a great thing to make during Addy's nap since there was a lot of chopping and prepping.  First I chopped up the chicken and cooked it with a little oil, garlic, and chopped ginger.  Man I love the smell of fresh ginger.  It makes me want to clean the house with it.  Is that possible?  Hm, I'll have to look that up.

Then I chopped up some CSA green onions and beet greens, and a can of water chestnuts.  I know, beet greens - sneaky right?


Then I let it all hang out in the fridge until closer to dinner time.  When the time came, I threw some rice in the rice cooker and heated up the chicken and veggies with a pretty simple Asian sauce that Lisa included in her email:

¼ cup soy sauce

1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
2 TBS brown sugar
A few shakes of sesame seed oil

She also said to use freshly grated ginger root, but I left that out since I cooked the chicken in it.

The results were awesome!  Yummy, yummo.  The sauce is honestly one of the best homemade sauces I've had, and so great because you can make it gluten free very easily (just make sure you get GF soy sauce like La Choy which you can find in any grocery).  A lot of Asian bottled sauces have wheat in it, so this recipe was a great little find.


Addy even ate the chicken and loved it.  It was funny to watch her try to eat the rice and tiny chopped up veggies - she hates to eat little things and kept flinging them off her hands onto the floor.  We tried the spoon and bowl again but that just invokes playing.  But the chicken was a hit.


And as usual my pictures don't do it justice, but check out that pretty CSA lettuce!  Very attractive stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment